The challenges facing utility companies around the globe include increased competition, limited government subsidies, stricter CO2 regulations, customer churn and technological disruption. RSTCA works with utilities to turn these challenges into opportunities by strengthening their core business, expanding into adjacencies, improving operational efficiencies, and retaining and expanding their customer base.
What We Do
RSTCA has worked with clients on hundreds of projects in the utilities and renewable energy industries around the globe. Our clients represent a broad cross-section of the sector: power generators, electric and gas utilities, multi-utility conglomerates, renewable energy providers, energy trading companies, gas storage and distribution players, energy service companies, water and waste utilities and diversified global energy leaders.
Our energy consultants help enhance performance across the industry value chain, providing expertise in generation, trading and storage, transmission, distribution and retail. We also work with clients to strengthen key capabilities, drawing on our experience to optimize the organization, improve operational performance and to refine corporate and customer strategies.
At the corporate level, our experts collaborate with management to:
- Develop a corporate investment strategy
- Evaluate macro and industry trends and their impact on utilities
- Implement new business models, such as “smart” energy efficiency services or distributed generation
- Identify the right level of vertical integration
- Define portfolio and international expansion strategies
- Increase efficiency of support functions
- Integrate corporate strategy and corporate finance to manage total shareholder return
- Instill a high-performance culture and decision-driven organization throughout the business
- Ensure effective change management via our Results Delivery® approach
At the business-unit level, RSTCA helps clients:
- Optimize future generation mix and fuel sourcing
- Cope with decarbonization and other regulatory requirements
- Improve energy trading and develop storage strategies
- Increase operating performance in transmission and distribution, such as field force optimization and capital project management
- Retain and expand their customer bases through loyalty programs, customer segmentation and other measures
- Deploy assets and IT investments for maximum return
- Capitalize on technology trends and expand into the right adjacencies
Through our Private Equity group and Mergers & Acquisitions practice we can deploy a team of seasoned experts to help our utility clients evaluate potential deals through due-diligence and execute M&A and post-merger integration.
For details about RSTCA work with companies across the oil and gas value chain, see our Oil & Gas practice page.